Skip to main content

Graduate of the Diploma in Metal Clay

My box bead finally passed
I am finally a graduate of the Diploma in Metal Clay from the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery. I passed grade one in January and decided, after a bit of thought, to do grade two and three together in five days. I decided this because the jewellery school is so far from home and the travelling takes about five hours each way and of course, costs a lot. So I returned to Cornwall in March for both levels. It was very intensive and I think if I was to do it again I would do one and two together and three and four together.
I ended up not completing either level 2 or 3 in March. I had a few earring wires to make for level 2 but a lot to do for level 3. 
So, I decided to try to do what I could at home before returning this week. Even though I had seven months to make the pieces at a leisurely pace I didn't of course! Although I also didn't leave it to the last weekend either which was good. One of the things that hadn't passed was my box bead (above). I was very disappointed at the time because I'd spent a lot of time on it. However, I did a lot more work on it at home and I like it even more now. One of my friends on the course said that she liked my design (which has different sides) than the original design!
I like it too. I also spent some time with my friend Chu Mei who patiently worked with me on earring wires. They have to match in every way to pass and I had to make five pairs! I really had a lot to do and was very relieved to pass my grades 2 and 3 by the end of the day.

MCSJ is in Par, Cornwall
The fourth part of the diploma is a choice between design and construction and teaching. Although both would be useful I decided to go for the teaching part. I am a qualified teacher but I feel that teaching a practical skill is very different from the academic teaching I'm used to.
The assessment started with a written paper on metal clay. We had to get over 85% to pass. Luckily I had been revising and got 93% which I was very happy with. 
On the final day we each had to teach for half an hour, have a class sample of the finished piece we were teaching and have a class handout. I volunteered to go first to get it over with and in case any of the other students were intimidatingly good! I was more worried about my soldering than about the teaching (the soldering worked out fine thankfully).
The teaching was fine. I made a couple of very basic errors but passed so that was great. But I'd passed grade 4 before grades 2 and 3! 
At lunchtime on the final day I still had a lot to do. I managed to finish it off as a big headache developed. And I passed.
I really do feel that it is an achievement. You have to meet high standards to pass and I have learnt so many new techniques.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silver clay on the BBC

If you are reading this blog then you probably already know that I make jewellery with a material called metal clay. It's not a well known material so I was really pleased to see it featuring on a programme on BBC1. The programme is called Countryfile and a metal clay artist called Emma Mitchell was featured, interviewed by Anita Rani. Emma talked about the mental health benefits of getting out into the countryside and getting inspiration from nature and natural surroundings. They picked leaves and other natural materials and used them to make moulds and silver jewellery. It's fantastic that silver clay was featured on TV as it raises awareness of the material. The metal clay world is quite small but I haven't met Emma yet although she is also teaching at the Y ou Can Make It metal clay conference in March so I am looking forward to meeting her there. You can watch the programme here on the BBC iplayer until 6th March 2018 (but only if you're in the UK unfortun

Ring a month theme for February 2019

I've been overwhelmed by the number of people being inspired by the Ring A Month challenge. At the time of writing, we have 351 members in the Facebook group and 300 followers on Instagram. If you'd like to join in there's still time! Facebook group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/makearingamonth/ Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/ringamonth/ I have decided to announce the theme for the coming month a week before the start of the month. This is to give people time to think about their designs, particularly those that are busy and have a lot to fit in. The theme for February 2019 is .... music and lyrics Here are some ideas to get you thinking about how to interpret the theme Be inspired by A song/piece of music you love A specific lyric from a song  A style of music e.g. classical, metal, rap, funk etc A musical An instrument/s Music artwork (CD/LP sleeve or music video) A concert you went to (or wish you went to!) A music festival Choose a

Business matters article for Making Jewellery magazine

As part of my role for the London Jewellery School I've been writing the Business Matters column in Making Jewellery magazine for six months now. We've been doing an interview series with jewellers on different aspects of jewellery business. However, this month I am actually featured! I wrote an article on getting press coverage which would be relevant for all small businesses. The magazine is available from Smiths and larger supermarkets so do check it out! It's issue 116, March 2018. This image is shared with permission, copyright GMC publications